Dairy One’s state-of-the-art laboratory rapidly analyzes milk samples using Milkoscan and Fossomatic instruments. The Milkoscan uses Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy (FTIR) for the determination of these milk components*:
- Butterfat (%)
- True Protein (%)
- Lactose (%)
- Total Solids (%)
- Milk Urea Nitrogen (MUN)
- Freezing Point Depression (°C) (FPD)
- Casein (%)
- Fatty Acids
- Ketosis Screening using Beta-hydroxybuterate (BHB) coming soon.
The Fossomatic uses Flow Cytometry for measurement of somatic cells (SCC) in milk.
Milk Diagnostics are also available and can use the same samples that are submitted for component analysis. Conditions that can be diagnosed using your milk samples are: pregnancy, Johne’s Disease, BVD, and Leukosis. For more information on milk diagnostics, visit the Animal Health Diagnostic Laboratory.
Submitting Non-DHIA Samples for Analysis
- Ship in Milk Sample Shipper or ship in your own shipping container. If using your own shipping container, stabilizing samples with small bubble wrap or paper is recommended as packages get jostled in transit and may arrive spilled if not supported or cushioned. Always include ice packs in either shipping option.
- Ship using a next day delivery service to Dairy One Milk Laboratory at 720 Warren Rd, Ithaca, NY 14850.
- Clearly label samples with correct ID.
- Samples can be either preserved or unpreserved. Sample volume should be a minimum of 20ml or 2 oz vial filled to the etched line.
Please include a completed copy of the Milk Lab Sample Submission Form when submitting samples.
*For testing of raw fluid bovine, ovine, and caprine milk only. For other dairy samples, see Check Mark Laboratory.